Monday, May 25, 2009

Time flies…

Posting on the weekend is harder than during the week… too many people around the house looking over my shoulder or calling to me from the kitchen, or laundry room or garage. So, I'm back this morning with very little to say… but, give me a few moments and that is sure to change!

I know that I want to say something witty, something that will stick with you or will cause you to belly laugh or just smirk with a recognition that you aren't as crazy as you thought you were, or you are less crazy than me, or at the very least, you aren't alone. But I can't conjure that up… can I? I can't be funny if I'm not feeling funny… and I want this blog to be about real life, not well scripted fiction.

So, where does that leave me this morning? And where does that leave us?

Alone in front of our computer screens looking for connection, I think. Alone and needing to express our thoughts and feelings and insights and failures and successes and just stories of our days and nights and lives. Alone is OK, for a time.

But I also know that too much of sitting in front of my computer screen isn't good for me. I tend to let the time slip by, pouring myself into writing and expressing and not take care of the other parts of my life that are actually more important… like caring for my home, or my family, or my health.

Who else out there struggles with this lure of things internet? I'm wondering what it is about being online that condenses time… I can't think of any other activity I do that has the same result.

Laundry takes time… at the very least a full day of back and forth between washer and dryer, but I am aware of each passing minute as I undertake that particular task. Gardening also takes a long time… but strangely enough, most times I feel like I've accomplished a lot in the garden, I come inside to find that only an hour has passed… interesting, huh? The hard work and the needful work of those primary responsibilities (that are hardest to start and complete), actually seem to take less time to accomplish than sitting in front of my computer where time vanishes without any awareness of it happening.

Is there something scientifically proven about this computer time loss thing? Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

Until I know more, I'm just going to keep it short this morning and choose to get out of my chair and spend time doing other things that I've been short changing in favour of blogging and writing. I'm not saying I'm going to stop writing or doing my blog… cause it's something I do for the joy of it, and cause it's this creative thing that bubbles up and can't be stopped. Even if I write nothing of interest to anyone else, I will still write. But, let's face it friends, I can't just blog or write all day long… that's not my real day job!

Someone commented recently when I said I was writing on my blog, "oh, you're busy entertaining yourself." That really BUGGED me! I thought a few nasty things that went unsaid, but mostly I thought this person really doesn't get what it's like to discover (at midpoint in my life) a purposeful part of myself that fulfills me and has the potential to impact others.

I write because I have to… I would be less than who I am if I didn't. But, I would also be less of who I am if I didn't exercise, sleep, rest, clean, cook, bake, garden, or do the things that I have the 'gulp' PRIVILEGE of doing as a wife and a mother.

So… for today… in the words of Porky Pig, "That's all folks!"

Lesley-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

community (7) life (7) love (7) relationships (7) God (6) death (6) family (6) menopause (6) communication (5) grief (5) depression (4) friends (4) grace (4) purpose (4) Women's Life Balance Program (3) blogging (3) faith (3) grieving (3) homemaker (3) honesty (3) hope (3) joy (3) marriage (3) perspective (3) truth (3) Christmas (2) cleaning (2) creation (2) creator (2) destiny (2) doubt (2) friendship (2) happy (2) maturity (2) mercy (2) parenting (2) passion (2) priorities (2) simplicity (2) survival (2) unconditional love (2) women (2) women's health (2) worship (2) Fall (1) Love Dare (1) Mother's Day (1) Mothering (1) Spiritual growth (1) Twitter (1) aging (1) anger (1) awareness (1) back to school (1) bad (1) balance (1) beliefs (1) believe (1) bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (1) boys (1) challenge (1) children (1) choices (1) colds (1) compassion (1) conflict (1) connecting (1) consequences (1) conversation (1) crime (1) cyber crime (1) dates (1) details (1) disclosure (1) divine intervention (1) dogs (1) eating (1) emotions (1) entertainment (1) envy (1) expectancy (1) expression (1) faithful (1) flu season (1) food (1) girlfriends (1) growth (1) heaven (1) help (1) holy spirit (1) hormones (1) housekeeper (1) husbands (1) illness (1) jealousy (1) judging (1) kids (1) legacy (1) lies (1) members (1) partnership (1) personality (1) predestination (1) pro-active (1) purposeful (1) responsibility (1) responsible (1) reuse (1) salivary testing (1) self-control (1) self-righteousness (1) sense of place (1) serving (1) significance (1) sin (1) stewardship (1) struggle (1) teenagers (1) tenderness (1) the honest scrap (1) tribute (1) truth or dare (1) vacation (1) women's health balance (1) writing (1) youth (1)